Location of DOT Containers
- 5 foot minimum between relief valve discharge and external source of ignition (air conditioner), direct vent, or mechanical ventilation system (attic fan)
- If the DOT cylinder is filled on site from a bulk truck, the filling connection and vent valve must be at least 10 feet from any external source of ignition, direct vent, or mechanical ventilation system.
Location of ASME Containers
- Regardless of its size, any ASME tank
filled on-site must be located so that the filling
connection and fixed level gauge are at least
10 feet from external sources of ignition (i.e.
open flame, window A/C, compressor, etc), intake
to direct vented gas appliance or intake to
a mechanical ventilation system.
- May be reduced to a 10 feet minimum for
a single container of 1200 gallons water capacity
or less if it is located at least 25 feet from
any other LP-Gas container of more than 125
gallons water capacity.
- Minimum distances from underground containers
shall be measured from the relief valve and
filling or level gauge vent connection at the
container, except that no part of the underground
container shall be less than 10 feet from a
building of line of adjoining property which
may be built upon.
- Where the container may be subject to abrasive action or physical damage due to vehicular traffic or other causes it must be either, (a) placed not less than 2 feet below grade; (b) otherwise protected against such physical damage.